Will-Excel TESOL Diploma FAQ

About the Course About TESOL Living in China Qualifying During the Course Coming to China
How do I know which TESOL course to choose? (↑Back to Top)

Compare us to other TESOL courses. The table below shows how we are superior to all other TESOL courses.

Earn a salary while you earn your TESOL Diploma.

When you finish our TESOL course you`ll have over 500 hours teaching experience (gained over your 6-month teaching term), beginner-intermediate Mandarin, and your TESOL Diploma.

Don`t waste your time and money studying a TESOL course that gives little if any real teaching experience.

Live in China and study with us. Our TESOL course includes the best TESOL training available plus: free food, free accommodations, free Mandarin lessons, and a paid teaching term.

* As there are a limited number of spaces in our program, as a sponsored participant you pay US$200 as a non-refundable registration fee. This is the only fee you pay and you receive a monthly salary throughout your teaching term. So, you earn money through the Will-Excel TESOL program rather than it costing you money. Our sponsor schools are sponsoring your TESOL Diploma and therefore they will pay all of your remaining fees directly to us. The salary and benefits offered are what you receive. You do not pay any additional fees from the offered salary amount.

What is the difference between TESOL, TESL and TEFL? What is CELTA? (↑Back to Top)

These terms refer to the same type of course.

Can I teach in other countries? (↑Back to Top)

Our Certificates and Diplomas are issued by Will-Excel TESOL Institute (Canada) and our TESOL courses exceed international standards of TESOL Course Instruction and Teaching Practice. Therefore, you can use your TESOL Diploma or TESOL Certificate to apply for jobs around the world. Our graduates have taught across Asia, Europe, Middle East, the Americas, and Oceania.

What are the TESOL course fees? (↑Back to Top)

The total cost of the TESOL course is US$1500, with several tuition payment options, either sponsored or self-funded.

Sponsored participants: The only fee that you will pay is the US$200 non-refundable registration fee. Your Sponsor school is sponsoring your TESOL Diploma and therefore they will pay the remaining US$1300 directly to us over your teaching term. The minimum salary amount listed and the salary amount offered to you with an offer of sponsorship are net of TESOL sponsored tuition. Therefore, the monthly salary amount you are offered is the amount you will receive each month. You do not pay any TESOL fees from this salary amount.

Self-funded participants are responsible for paying their own tuition fees (US$1500).

Where will I live? (↑Back to Top)

All of our teachers havefree, shared furnished apartments throughout their month of TESOL training in Harbin which includes free utilities and Internet. Upon arrival, you pay a ?00 RMB key deposit which is returned when you return your keys and depart to begin your teaching term. (Accommodation details provided with employment offer.)

What will I eat? (↑Back to Top)

Throughout the first month of training of the TESOL course, we provide lunch and dinner on site, free of charge. Of course you can choose to prepare your own meals at home or eat at local restaurants.

What will my healthcare be? (↑Back to Top)

We do not provide medical coverage during your first month of training of the TESOL course. If you want health coverage during this month, you can arrange to either purchase travel insurance from home or Chinese health insurance once you arrive in Harbin. A year of coverage through PingAn insurance in China costs approximately US$100.

Details regarding medical coverage throughout your TESOL teaching term provided with employment offer.

What is the state of healthcare in China? (↑Back to Top)

Medical care is good in China but staying in hospitals for any length of time is not very comfortable. Dental and vision care are very cheap. Several of our teachers have chosen to get a lot of dental work done, while here, for a fraction of the Western cost. Prescription glasses are also a fraction of the Western cost.

How do I arrange my flight? (↑Back to Top)

Harbin has direct international flights from Russia, South Korea, Japan and Los Angeles. But most other flights connect through Beijing or Shanghai. If you`re coming from the northern hemisphere don`t bother checking Hong Kong or Shanghai flights since it costs nearly as much to get from there to Harbin as it costs to get there from the West. Coming through the southern hemisphere, most flights connect through Singapore, Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Which vaccinations do I need? (↑Back to Top)

The Chinese government does not require any vaccinations. Many travelers get immunizations against tetanus, typhoid and diphtheria (a common shot that people get when they travel almost anywhere) plus some people get a Hep-B vaccination since the disease is fairly common in China. However, most people get it done after arrival in China, if they want it. However, before you can get a working visa or a work resident permit, you must have a health check. They check your general health but are primarily checking for Hep-B, TB, HIV and Syphilis.

How much money should I bring? (↑Back to Top)

It`s easy to live on US$300 a month. Some people spend much more than necessary because they frequently go out to western-style bars and restaurants. We recommend that you bring at least US$500 as it may be two months before you receive your first salary. We recommend that any money you bring with you be in US cash. Some bank cards can be used to make withdrawals from your Western account but not deposits. If you bring travelers checks, you will get a slightly lower exchange rate. Basically everything is done in cash in China. Therefore, schools pay teachers in cash as well. Recently e-cash is becoming more common so once you're settled, you can get your phone set up to deal in one of the local e-cash otpions.

How can I get a working visa? (↑Back to Top)

You will enter China either on a tourist visa (self-funded participants) or work visa (sposnored participants). We will let you know which documents you need to prepare for your work visa invitation letters. After we've received those and obtained the invitations, you apply for your work visa. Once you begin your teaching term, you will need to convert your work visa into a work resident permit. If you enter on a tourist visa, you will need to get inviation letters from an employer once you've chosen one. You will use these letters to apply for a work visa. This must be done outside of China. Many teachers do this in Thailand or another nearby country.

If coming on a tourist visa, get a 90 day single entry one. The multiple entry visas are only good for 30-60 days following each entry. Visas can be obtained in a couple days if you go to the embassy/consulate in person but takes weeks if you are mailing it in through a visa service.

What should I bring? (↑Back to Top)

There are no really essential items to bring since almost everything can be bought locally. 95% of new arrivals over pack. By the time people are ready to return home, they have bought so much that they leave most of their original belongings behind. Most Westerners notice a small food item or brand that they can`t locate. New shoes may be a worthwhile thing to bring. Good shoes in China are no cheaper than in the West, the quality is often a problem and large sizes may be hard to find. See Harbin Information on our web site (right menu) for more packing ideas.

Should I bring my own computer? (↑Back to Top)

Bring a laptop/tablet if you have one. You`ll find it useful, or you can buy one here for about the same price as in the West. Don`t bring a full desk-top computer. They are too bulky. If you are planning on making China your home for an extended period, you can leave your monitor and case at home and only pack the internal cards. A new case and monitor will have you up and running here at little cost. You can also buy a full desktop system here for about the same price as in the West. Chromebooks won`t work without a VPN so set this up before coming.

What kind of students will I teach? (↑Back to Top)

All schools value flexible TESOL teachers since they are able to effectively deal with wide ranges of student ages and levels. Therefore during your month of TESOL training you will gain experience with students of a variety of ages and levels.

The exact type of students that you have during your teaching term will depend on your employer. (Details provided with employment offer.)

Classes mostly focus on oral English or using oral methods to teach underlying structure. Students in China tend to learn vocabulary and grammar in their regular classes but cannot use what they have learned. This is the primary focus of our TESOL course.

How will I get to class? (↑Back to Top)

We provide transportation to and from off-site classes during your month of TESOL training. Transportation during your TESOL teaching term depends on your employer. (Details provided with employment offer.)

Will I have course material to teach from? (↑Back to Top)

Yes. Text books and additional materials are provided. We also encourage teachers to blend current events and appropriate activities into classes whenever possible. Some classes have a very specific curriculum to follow. This curriculum must be completed each class before any additional materials or activities can be added. Although not required, some TESOL teachers bring materials with them that they find are particularly useful.

What is your dress code? (↑Back to Top)

TESOL teachers are expected to dress professionally. That does not mean they must wear a suit and tie or a dress for every class. They must look appropriate for an office environment. They are expected to wear at least “business casual / smart casual? However, making a good first impression is important. TESOL teachers should come to China with at least one business formal outfit.

Will I have any office work to do? (↑Back to Top)

Some employers assign office duties. (Details provided with employment offer.)

Typical office duties consist of small admin. duties, organizing special events such as English Corners, being responsible for some aspect of the school such as updating a bulletin board, working on designing tests, developing or distributing questionnaires, etc. They may also include doing marketing presentations or attending outside events to promote the school. If a teacher has a special ability such as ad design, computer skills, etc. they may be asked to use office hours on related tasks.

What will my schedule be like? (↑Back to Top)

The first four weeks of the TESOL course will be an extremely busy, full-time intensive study term and you will teach your first classes early in your course. In addition to TESOL input sessions, you will also have 20 hours of Chinese language classes, at least 10 hours of evaluated teaching practice, 30 ?40 hours of lesson preparation (for each hour of teaching practice, new teachers generally spend 3 ?4 hours preparing a lesson plan), 10 hours of observing experienced teachers (you may request to observe more classes if you like), plus time spent outside of class studying, working on professional development projects and completing Chinese language homework.

During your TESOL teaching term, your teaching schedule depends on your employer. Some teachers have a few heavy class days and more time off the rest of the week while others teach a little each day.

What will I do in my spare time? (↑Back to Top)

Harbin is a large city with the same conveniences and entertainment venues available in the West: pool halls, bowling alleys, gyms, swimming pools, movie theatres that show some of the biggest blockbuster movies in English, and a few bars that are frequented by many of the local Ex-pats. For entertainment at home, many people download western TV shows or watch movies on DVD. Every movie and syndicated TV show is available on DVD, which are quite cheap (less than US$1). Once you have settled in for your teaching term, you can sign up for classes in Chinese painting, calligraphy, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, etc.

Will I have internet access? (↑Back to Top)

During the month of TESOL training, you will have wi-fi Internet access in your apartment and at our offices. Internet is available everywhere, often free in shops, etc. You will pay for your own Internet at home.

What are the holidays? (↑Back to Top)

There are two 5-7 day long national holidays each year, in February and October. There are also several other single-day holidays during the year. Whether these holidays are paid or unpaid varies by school. Some employers also include additional holidays. (Details provided with employment offer.)

What places can I travel to? (↑Back to Top)

There are many scenic locations within a few hours of Harbin including summer getaway spots and winter ski hills.

Within an overnight train ride from Harbin: Beijing, Dalian (Seaside), or BeiDaiHe (Old section of Great Wall).

China is a big and diverse country. No matter where your employer is located, there will be local scenic and historical places to visit. You may take advantage of the 2 long national holidays each year for extended trips.

Is Harbin a safe place to live? (↑Back to Top)

Harbin is a very safe city with little violent crime. Like most places, some bars have bad reputations and you may encounter an occasional pickpocket.

Why should I earn my TESOL certificate abroad? (↑Back to Top)

Living abroad is an important aspect of learning to teach abroad and teaching experience with real language learners is required to assimilate the materials that you are studying in your input sessions.

Many school managers have told us that newly arrived teachers from other TESOL courses seem as though they have not really taken a TESOL training course because they are not prepared to start teaching classes. This is because their TESOL courses didn`t include real teaching experience.

In fact, most elements of learning how to teach can only be learned after you teach your first couple classes. So, if you study for weeks or months from texts and classes but have not yet taught real language learners, your time studying TESOL will not be well spent.

Just as a rocket can only be guided after it`s launched, a TESOL teacher can only begin to really learn after he/she has started teaching.

This is why it is not only important to take a TESOL course abroad, but to choose a TESOL course that includes substantial teaching practice with real language learners.

Why should I take the Will-Excel TESOL course? (↑Back to Top)

You earn a salary while you earn your TESOL Diploma or TESOL certificate.

When you finish our TESOL course you`ll have over 500 hours teaching experience, beginner-intermediate Mandarin, and your TESOL Diploma or TESOL Certificate.

You would be wasting your time and money studying a TESOL course that gives little if any real teaching experience.

Our TESOL course includes the best TESOL course available plus: free food, free accommodations, and free Mandarin lessons.

See Apply Now for more information.

I haven`t studied grammar in a long time? Is that a problem? (↑Back to Top)

You already have a superior understanding of grammar. You use it everyday when you speak.

We`ll teach you everything you need to know in order to teach grammar to all levels of students.

Can I get a job without a degree? (↑Back to Top)

The rules and loopholes for teachers without degrees are regularly changing. Therefore, we'll explain your options when you apply.

How do I know if I am suitable? (↑Back to Top)

See Apply Now for more information.

What opportunities are there for me after the TESOL course? (↑Back to Top)

Many employers regularly ask our graduates to extend their contracts after they have completed the TESOL teaching term. With these extensions come more income and other benefits.

Or you may choose to seek a teaching position with another school in another part of China.

Some of our graduates choose to leave China to teach in other countries. Our TESOL course prepares you for a world of opportunities.

What is sponsorship? (↑Back to Top)

Many TESOL course participants are sponsored by Will-Excel TESOL sponsor schools. These schools pay your tuition fees on your behalf. On average, 50 - 100% of teachers in each TESOL course are sponsored.

Many teachers also take part in our TESOL course under the self-funded option.

I do not qualify for sponsorship. Can I still participate in the TESOL course? (↑Back to Top)

Yes. Providing you pass the application screening process, you can participate in our TESOL course through our self-funded option.

What are the differences between the sponsored and self-funded options? (↑Back to Top)

The self-funded option is the same as the sponsored option in that it includes a 160-hour TESOL certification course, free accommodations throughout the course (accommodations may be shared), free meals (lunch and dinner), transportation (when applicable), 20 hours of Mandarin Chinese classes, and additional Mandarin home study materials. We also offer job placement assistance. Our goal is to find you a job before the TESOL course finishes. The main differences are:

Self-funded participants are responsible for paying their own tuition fees (US$1500). Self-funded participants are issued a TESOL certificate upon completion of the first month of training. These teachers can upgrade this TESOL certificate to a TESOL Diploma after they have taught 500 hours for which we have received evaluations through their employer.

As it is the teacher`s responsibility to choose their own employer, they may apply to any schools with which they would like to work. Our goal is to help find these participants a job before the TESOL course finishes.

What is the difference between your TESOL certificate and your TESOL Diploma? (↑Back to Top)

Will-Excel TESOL issues both government accredited TESOL Certificates and TESOL Diplomas. Our TESOL Diploma signifies that you have not only completed the 160-hour TESOL training course, but also have a substantial amount of TESOL teaching practice.

A TESOL certificate is awarded once you have completed the 160-hour TESOL training in Harbin and your TESOL tuition fees have been paid in full. TESOL Diplomas are issued once you have taught 500 hours for which we have received your evaluations through your employer.

Where do your graduates go on to teach? (↑Back to Top)

Our TESOL graduates go on to teach in many cities throughout China and countries throughout the world. Some of these locations include: The European Union, Japan, South Korea, Turkey, UAE, Saudi Arabia, USA, Vietnam, Beijing, Changchun, Changsha, Changshu, Dalian, Daqing, Hangzhou, Hailar, Harbin, Jiamusi, Nanjing, Qingdao, Shanghai, Taiyuan, Taizhou, Tianjin, Xuzhou, Zhengzhou.

Regardless of where you want to teach, our TESOL Certificates and TESOL Diplomas are recognized world-wide via our reputation and government accreditation.

TESOL course, TESOL Diploma, TESOL certification, TEFL course China, TESOL course China, TESOL training, TESOL China, TESOL in China, TEFL China, Diploma in TESOL, TESOL certificate, TESOL programs